Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Can't seem to get away from work--even on vaco



Life sure is funny! I've been on vacation for the last week and 1/2. One of the best, most magical vacations I've ever had --EVER! It consisted of seeing college buddies, experiencing Indians' batting practice from the field, entertaining my family in a loge at an Indians' game, being Season Ticket Holder Fan of the Game, meeting one of my Twitter buddies, quality time with old friends every day, Larchmere Porchfest, sun, fun, and relaxation!



But it seems 2 of the most exciting highlights revolved around work --while I was on vacation! Go figure!



One night I attended the Indians' -Rockies game with a co-worker and a former co-worker. We wound up having dinner up in the Terrace Club. We were laughing, talking, catching up when who walks in? NBC Sports guru Bob Costas. Really? Bob Costas. What are the chances?



We kept our eyes on his every move (well not really). But when he went to leave, my girlfriend subtly asked if he'd mind taking a picture with all of us. He was quite gracious and did so. This was probably my one shot at ever speaking with THE Bob Costas. I mustered up as much courage as I could and introduced myself. I told him I worked for the local NBC affiliate in town. He perked up and the 1st question out of his mouth was, "Do you know Jim Donovan?" Are you kidding me? My hero and friend. I answered, "Oh yes. He's one of my dear friends. Do you know he's in the hospital?" Mr. Costas was surprised to hear about everything Jimmy is going through and was quite adamant in asking me to please send him best well wishes.



Again, I ask, are you kidding me?



After he left, I got the skinny from a friend. He apparently has very good friends in Cleveland he reunites with a few times a year. He was in town just for fun, realized there was a game and called to see if they could eat in the Terrace Club and enjoy the game. Uh, I don't think the Indians or Bob DiBiasio or anyone could ever say NO to Mr. Bob Costas. Really!



My next task was texting my friend Jimmy Donovan with the well wishes from Bob Costas! He was surprised, maybe not so much at the sentiment because they have worked together but that we saw him and spoke to him.



I must admit, the biggest thrill from this whole extravaganza was not necessarily the game, or even meeting Bob Costas but relaying the message and getting a response back from my hero and friend, Jim Donovan. I can't express how I felt at that moment.



A second highlight work related as well. Metromix Cleveland threw a huge birthday bash over in Lakewood. Why not? I was on vacation so I popped over and had the absolute best time of my life sharing in the fun, festivities, cornhole competition, dunk tank, bowling, birthday cake, and so much more, which included spending part of my vacation with cool co-workers!



All in all, a magical week which probably will not be paralleled or surpasssed anytime soon --but I can dream!!

No comments: